Quantcast

Post entity with Webresource

xworker
Hi

Im trying to do a simple post with an entity from my backingbean to my REST ws service.

Something like this:

webresource.post(ClientResponse.class, myEntity);

Whats the correct way of doing this? All the examples I've seen just send strings and not entitys.

/xw

Re: Post entity with Webresource

Naresh-11
Hi,

xworker wrote:

> Hi
>
> Im trying to do a simple post with an entity from my backingbean to my REST
> ws service.
>
> Something like this:
>
> webresource.post(ClientResponse.class, myEntity);
>
> Whats the correct way of doing this?
you can definitely do it this way.
>  All the examples I've seen just send
> strings and not entitys.

Please refer the JAXB sample's [1] MainTest class. Most of the test
methods of this test class, use post() method for actually POSTing entities.

[1]
http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/jersey/samples/jaxb/1.1.3-ea-SNAPSHOT/jaxb-1.1.3-ea-SNAPSHOT-project.zip

-Naresh
> /xw

Re: Post entity with Webresource

xworker
Hi

Tried that. Like this:

 PermitConverter p = new PermitConverter();
       p.setPermitName("test");

        wr = client.resource("http://localhost:8080/permit-backend/resources/permits");
        wr.post(new GenericType<PermitConverter>(){}, p);

Got this exception:
 javax.faces.el.EvaluationException: com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size:0

Naresh-11 wrote
Hi,

xworker wrote:
> Hi
>
> Im trying to do a simple post with an entity from my backingbean to my REST
> ws service.
>
> Something like this:
>
> webresource.post(ClientResponse.class, myEntity);
>
> Whats the correct way of doing this?
you can definitely do it this way.
>  All the examples I've seen just send
> strings and not entitys.

Please refer the JAXB sample's [1] MainTest class. Most of the test
methods of this test class, use post() method for actually POSTing entities.

[1]
http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/jersey/samples/jaxb/1.1.3-ea-SNAPSHOT/jaxb-1.1.3-ea-SNAPSHOT-project.zip

-Naresh
> /xw

Re: Post entity with Webresource

Naresh-11
Hi,

   could you please send more details, like the full exception stack trace?
A reproducible sample would be helpful too (if possible).

-Naresh

xworker wrote:

> Hi
>
> Tried that. Like this:
>
>  PermitConverter p = new PermitConverter();
>        p.setPermitName("test");
>

>         wr =
> client.resource("http://localhost:8080/permit-backend/resources/permits");
>         wr.post(new GenericType<PermitConverter>(){}, p);
>
> Got this exception:
>  javax.faces.el.EvaluationException:
> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException:
> java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size:0
>

> Naresh-11 wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> xworker wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Im trying to do a simple post with an entity from my backingbean to my
>>> REST
>>> ws service.
>>>
>>> Something like this:
>>>
>>> webresource.post(ClientResponse.class, myEntity);
>>>
>>> Whats the correct way of doing this?
>>>
>> you can definitely do it this way.
>>
>>>  All the examples I've seen just send
>>> strings and not entitys.
>>>

>> Please refer the JAXB sample's [1] MainTest class. Most of the test
>> methods of this test class, use post() method for actually POSTing
>> entities.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/jersey/samples/jaxb/1.1.3-ea-SNAPSHOT/jaxb-1.1.3-ea-SNAPSHOT-project.zip
>>
>> -Naresh
>>
>>> /xw

Re: Post entity with Webresource

xworker
backend resource:

   @POST
    @Consumes({"application/xml", "application/json"})
    public Response post(PermitConverter data) {
        PersistenceService persistenceSvc = PersistenceService.getInstance();
        try {
            persistenceSvc.beginTx();
            EntityManager em = persistenceSvc.getEntityManager();
            Permit entity = data.resolveEntity(em);
            createEntity(data.resolveEntity(em));
            persistenceSvc.commitTx();
            return Response.created(uriInfo.getAbsolutePath().resolve(entity.getPermitId() + "/")).build();
        } finally {
            persistenceSvc.close();

Client: (JSF backingbean)

 PermitConverter p = new PermitConverter();
       p.setPermitName("test");

        wr = client.resource("http://localhost:8080/permit-backend/resources/permits");
        wr.type("application/xml").post(new GenericType<PermitConverter>(){}, p);

The problem now is that there is no MessageBody writer. The arrayindex problem went away when I set the type("application/xml"). Feels like I missed a step somewhere with the messageBodyWriter...

31:04,861 ERROR [application] com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: A message body wr
r for Java type, class service.PermitConverter, and MIME media type, application/xml, was not found
ax.faces.el.EvaluationException: com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: A message body
iter for Java type, class service.PermitConverter, and MIME media type, application/xml, was not found

xworker wrote:
> Hi
>
> Tried that. Like this:
>
>  PermitConverter p = new PermitConverter();
>        p.setPermitName("test");
>

>         wr =
> client.resource("http://localhost:8080/permit-backend/resources/permits");
>         wr.post(new GenericType<PermitConverter>(){}, p);
>
> Got this exception:
>  javax.faces.el.EvaluationException:
> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException:
> java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size:0
>

> Naresh-11 wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> xworker wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Im trying to do a simple post with an entity from my backingbean to my
>>> REST
>>> ws service.
>>>
>>> Something like this:
>>>
>>> webresource.post(ClientResponse.class, myEntity);
>>>
>>> Whats the correct way of doing this?
>>>
>> you can definitely do it this way.
>>
>>>  All the examples I've seen just send
>>> strings and not entitys.
>>>

>> Please refer the JAXB sample's [1] MainTest class. Most of the test
>> methods of this test class, use post() method for actually POSTing
>> entities.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://download.java.net/maven/2/com/sun/jersey/samples/jaxb/1.1.3-ea-SNAPSHOT/jaxb-1.1.3-ea-SNAPSHOT-project.zip
>>
>> -Naresh
>>
>>> /xw

Re: Post entity with Webresource

Naresh-11
I'm assuming that you have annotated service.PermitConverter with JAXB
annotations.
If not, can you try that.

Note that, its a requirement to annotate the entity class with JAXB
annotations to produce XML/JSON response.

-Naresh

xworker wrote:

> backend resource:
>
>    @POST
>     @Consumes({"application/xml", "application/json"})
>     public Response post(PermitConverter data) {
>         PersistenceService persistenceSvc =
> PersistenceService.getInstance();
>         try {
>             persistenceSvc.beginTx();
>             EntityManager em = persistenceSvc.getEntityManager();
>             Permit entity = data.resolveEntity(em);
>             createEntity(data.resolveEntity(em));
>             persistenceSvc.commitTx();
>             return
> Response.created(uriInfo.getAbsolutePath().resolve(entity.getPermitId() +
> "/")).build();
>         } finally {
>             persistenceSvc.close();
>         }
>     }
>
> Client: (JSF backingbean)
>
>  PermitConverter p = new PermitConverter();
>        p.setPermitName("test");
>

>         wr =
> client.resource("http://localhost:8080/permit-backend/resources/permits");
>         wr.type("application/xml").post(new
> GenericType<PermitConverter>(){}, p);
>

> The problem now is that there is no MessageBody writer. The arrayindex
> problem went away when I set the type("application/xml"). Feels like I
> missed a step somewhere with the messageBodyWriter...
>
> 31:04,861 ERROR [application]
> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException:
> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: A message body wr
> r for Java type, class service.PermitConverter, and MIME media type,
> application/xml, was not found
> ax.faces.el.EvaluationException:
> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException:
> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: A message body
> iter for Java type, class service.PermitConverter, and MIME media type,
> application/xml, was not found
>

> Naresh-11 wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>    could you please send more details, like the full exception stack
>> trace?
>> A reproducible sample would be helpful too (if possible).
>>
>> -Naresh
>>

>> xworker wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Tried that. Like this:
>>>
>>>  PermitConverter p = new PermitConverter();
>>>        p.setPermitName("test");
>>>

>>>         wr =
>>> client.resource("http://localhost:8080/permit-backend/resources/permits");
>>>         wr.post(new GenericType<PermitConverter>(){}, p);
>>>
>>> Got this exception:
>>>  javax.faces.el.EvaluationException:
>>> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException:
>>> java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size:0

Re: Post entity with Webresource

xworker
The REST stuff is generated by netbeans (6.7). I'll look into the jaxb stuff, but it would be nice to be able to generate the rest stuff without to much editing.

The converter looks like this;

<code>

@XmlRootElement(name = "permits")
public class PermitsConverter {
    private Collection<Permit> entities;
    private Collection<PermitConverter> items;
    private URI uri;
    private int expandLevel;

    /** Creates a new instance of PermitsConverter */
    public PermitsConverter() {
    }

    /**
     * Creates a new instance of PermitsConverter.
     *
     * @param entities associated entities
     * @param uri associated uri
     * @param expandLevel indicates the number of levels the entity graph should be expanded
     */
    public PermitsConverter(Collection<Permit> entities, URI uri, int expandLevel) {
        this.entities = entities;
        this.uri = uri;
        this.expandLevel = expandLevel;
        getPermit();
    }

    /**
     * Returns a collection of PermitConverter.
     *
     * @return a collection of PermitConverter
     */
    @XmlElement
    public Collection<PermitConverter> getPermit() {
        if (items == null) {
            items = new ArrayList<PermitConverter>();
        }
        if (entities != null) {
            items.clear();
            for (Permit entity : entities) {
                items.add(new PermitConverter(entity, uri, expandLevel, true));
        return items;
    }

    /**
     * Sets a collection of PermitConverter.
     *
     * @param a collection of PermitConverter to set
     */
    public void setPermit(Collection<PermitConverter> items) {
        this.items = items;
    }

    /**
     * Returns the URI associated with this converter.
     *
     * @return the uri
     */
    @XmlAttribute
    public URI getUri() {
        return uri;
    }

    /**
     * Returns a collection Permit entities.
     *
     * @return a collection of Permit entities
     */
    @XmlTransient
    public Collection<Permit> getEntities() {
        entities = new ArrayList<Permit>();
        if (items != null) {
            for (PermitConverter item : items) {
                entities.add(item.getEntity());
        return entities;

</code>

Naresh-11 wrote

xworker wrote:
> backend resource:
>
>    @POST
>     @Consumes({"application/xml", "application/json"})
>     public Response post(PermitConverter data) {
>         PersistenceService persistenceSvc =
> PersistenceService.getInstance();
>         try {
>             persistenceSvc.beginTx();
>             EntityManager em = persistenceSvc.getEntityManager();
>             Permit entity = data.resolveEntity(em);
>             createEntity(data.resolveEntity(em));
>             persistenceSvc.commitTx();
>             return
> Response.created(uriInfo.getAbsolutePath().resolve(entity.getPermitId() +
> "/")).build();
>         } finally {
>             persistenceSvc.close();
>         }
>     }
>
> Client: (JSF backingbean)
>
>  PermitConverter p = new PermitConverter();
>        p.setPermitName("test");
>

>         wr =
> client.resource("http://localhost:8080/permit-backend/resources/permits");
>         wr.type("application/xml").post(new
> GenericType<PermitConverter>(){}, p);
>

> The problem now is that there is no MessageBody writer. The arrayindex
> problem went away when I set the type("application/xml"). Feels like I
> missed a step somewhere with the messageBodyWriter...
>
> 31:04,861 ERROR [application]
> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException:
> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: A message body wr
> r for Java type, class service.PermitConverter, and MIME media type,
> application/xml, was not found
> ax.faces.el.EvaluationException:
> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException:
> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: A message body
> iter for Java type, class service.PermitConverter, and MIME media type,
> application/xml, was not found
>

> Naresh-11 wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>    could you please send more details, like the full exception stack
>> trace?
>> A reproducible sample would be helpful too (if possible).
>>
>> -Naresh
>>

>> xworker wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Tried that. Like this:
>>>
>>>  PermitConverter p = new PermitConverter();
>>>        p.setPermitName("test");
>>>

>>>         wr =
>>> client.resource("http://localhost:8080/permit-backend/resources/permits");
>>>         wr.post(new GenericType<PermitConverter>(){}, p);
>>>
>>> Got this exception:
>>>  javax.faces.el.EvaluationException:
>>> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException:
>>> java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size:0

Re: Post entity with Webresource

Jakub Podlesak
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 06:31:02AM -0500, xworker wrote:

> The REST stuff is generated by netbeans (6.7). I'll look into the jaxb stuff,
> but it would be nice to be able to generate the rest stuff without to much
> editing.

If you have issues running code generated automatically from NetBeans,
using their wizzards, i would recommend you report a bug at [1]
(component websvc, subcomponent rest).

Please describe steps for reproducing the issue there and report back
the bug number/url here. Then i can help tooling guys to fix the issue.

Thanks,

Jakub

[1]http://www.netbeans.org/community/issues.html

> Naresh-11 wrote:
> >
> > I'm assuming that you have annotated service.PermitConverter with JAXB
> > annotations.
> > If not, can you try that.
> >
> > Note that, its a requirement to annotate the entity class with JAXB
> > annotations to produce XML/JSON response.
> >
> > -Naresh
> >
> > xworker wrote:
> >> backend resource:
> >>
> >>    @POST
> >>     @Consumes({"application/xml", "application/json"})
> >>     public Response post(PermitConverter data) {
> >>         PersistenceService persistenceSvc =
> >> PersistenceService.getInstance();
> >>         try {
> >>             persistenceSvc.beginTx();
> >>             EntityManager em = persistenceSvc.getEntityManager();
> >>             Permit entity = data.resolveEntity(em);
> >>             createEntity(data.resolveEntity(em));
> >>             persistenceSvc.commitTx();
> >>             return
> >> Response.created(uriInfo.getAbsolutePath().resolve(entity.getPermitId() +
> >> "/")).build();
> >>         } finally {
> >>             persistenceSvc.close();
> >>         }
> >>     }
> >>
> >> Client: (JSF backingbean)
> >>
> >>  PermitConverter p = new PermitConverter();
> >>        p.setPermitName("test");
> >>

> >>         wr =
> >> client.resource("http://localhost:8080/permit-backend/resources/permits");
> >>         wr.type("application/xml").post(new
> >> GenericType<PermitConverter>(){}, p);
> >>

> >> The problem now is that there is no MessageBody writer. The arrayindex
> >> problem went away when I set the type("application/xml"). Feels like I
> >> missed a step somewhere with the messageBodyWriter...
> >>
> >> 31:04,861 ERROR [application]
> >> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException:
> >> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: A message body wr
> >> r for Java type, class service.PermitConverter, and MIME media type,
> >> application/xml, was not found
> >> ax.faces.el.EvaluationException:
> >> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException:
> >> com.sun.jersey.api.client.ClientHandlerException: A message body
> >> iter for Java type, class service.PermitConverter, and MIME media type,
> >> application/xml, was not found

Jakub Podlešák, Software Engineer
Web Services and Technologies, SUN Microsystems
http://blogs.sun.com/japod