Generating client stub from wadl

Rimy Sfm
Hey everyone,

I'm working with Jesrey. I implemented a simple web service and Jersey generated me its wadl (the description file written in XML)
Now I need to generate from that wadl a client stub that invoke my web service. How can I do that???
I'm fairly new with all this and I'm loosing much time turning around the problem without doing anything
 I think that there is a tool named wadl2java but it seems to be missing :( :( :(
Help please!

Thanks.

Re: Generating client stub from wadl

Pavel Bucek-2
Hello,

wadl2java exists, but it doesn't do what you want - it generates client
code but uses only http url connection (not jersey-client). See
http://java.net/projects/wadl/ for more details.

So the answer to your question is that we currently don't have anything
which can generate jersey client from wadl. We do have plans to have
something like this in Jersey 1.10.

Pavel

On 4/21/11 1:07 PM, Rimy Sfm wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm working with Jesrey. I implemented a simple web service and Jersey
> generated me its wadl (the description file written in XML)
> Now I need to generate from that wadl a client stub that invoke my web
> service. How can I do that???
> I'm fairly new with all this and I'm loosing much time turning around the
> problem without doing anything
>   I think that there is a tool named wadl2java but it seems to be missing :(
> :( :(
> Help please!
>
> Thanks.

Re: Generating client stub from wadl

Rimy Sfm
Hello Pavel,

Thanks for your reply but I cant found the wadl2java project under the link you gived to me :(
From where can I download the project? and can I see it's code source?
 And I want to ask you if you think that it is feasible that I try to code myself something that can generate me a jersey client from wadl? and how much time do you think it would that take me ?

Thanks very much for your help

Re: Generating client stub from wadl

Pavel Bucek-2
see

http://wadl.java.net/
http://java.net/projects/wadl/sources/svn/show/

On 6/13/11 10:02 AM, Rimy Sfm wrote:

> Hello Pavel,
>
> Thanks for your reply but I cant found the wadl2java project under the link
> you gived to me :(
> > From where can I download the project? and can I see it's code source?
>   And I want to ask you if you think that it is feasible that I try to code
> myself something that can generate me a jersey client from wadl? and how
> much time do you think it would that take me ?
>
> Thanks very much for your help

Re: Generating client stub from wadl

Rimy Sfm
Thanks Pavel,
what about my second question? Is it feasable that I develop myself something that generates me a jersey client API based client? and how much time would that take me in your opinion (I'm working all by myself)

Re: Generating client stub from wadl

Rimy Sfm

I'm working on my graduation project and I'm pressed by time.
I want to ask you if you think that it is possible that I code myself something that generates me a Jersey Client API based client stub from a wadl file.
And how much time would that take me taking in consideration that I'm working all by myself.
I would really appreciate your help by giving me your opinion I have no much time left and I'm really stressed and I want at least to know if it is feasible or not :(

Thanks very much

Re: Generating client stub from wadl

It is doable, depends on you actually - how much efford you are willing
to put into that project. My original estimate was ~4 weeks, but it
contains other improvements in that area, simple rewrite to jersey using
pattern which is already there could take 3 days + maybe some testing.

To sum that up - depends what you really want to do. Maybe you can
explore current wadl project (it shouldn't take more that half a day)
and decide whether you are fine with offered functionality and develop
something similar or start from scratch (that would be definitely more
difficult and time consuming option).

Another thing is that you might need to improve jerseys wadl generation
itself - to include XML Schema of used types. But again - depends on
your usecase, you might not need that at all.

On 6/13/11 10:41 AM, Rimy Sfm wrote:

> Thanks Pavel,
> what about my second question? Is it feasable that I develop myself
> something that generates me a jersey client API based client? and how much
> time would that take me in your opinion (I'm working all by myself)

Re: Generating client stub from wadl

Rimy Sfm
Sorry for having so many question.
under http://wadl.java.net/ , under the section  wadl2java  they are telling me that I can download the last distribution
"The latest distribution can be downloaded here." but when I click on here I find nothing :(
 java.net> projects > wadl > Website
The file /web/projects/wadl/servlets/ProjectDocumentList appears to be missing.

To add content to your website, use webdavs.

http://jersey.576304.n2.nabble.com/Generating-client-stub-from-wadl-tp6293789p6469460.html
To unsubscribe from Generating client stub from wadl, click here.

Re: Generating client stub from wadl

Rimy Sfm
You have told me that "simple rewrite to jersey using
pattern which is already there could take 3 days + maybe some testing. " Where can I find that pattern?

looks like it (whatever it was) was lost during migration. Anyway paragraphs below represent list of included modules and you can find them in maven repo: http://download.java.net/maven/2/org/jvnet/ws/wadl/

On 6/13/11 11:19 AM, Rimy Sfm wrote:
Sorry for having so many question.
under http://wadl.java.net/ , under the section  wadl2java  they are telling me that I can download the last distribution
"The latest distribution can be downloaded here." but when I click on here I find nothing :(
 java.net> projects > wadl > Website
The file /web/projects/wadl/servlets/ProjectDocumentList appears to be missing.

To add content to your website, use webdavs.

2011/6/13 Pavel Bucek-2 [via Jersey] <[hidden email]>
It is doable, depends on you actually - how much efford you are willing
to put into that project. My original estimate was ~4 weeks, but it
contains other improvements in that area, simple rewrite to jersey using
pattern which is already there could take 3 days + maybe some testing.

To sum that up - depends what you really want to do. Maybe you can
explore current wadl project (it shouldn't take more that half a day)
and decide whether you are fine with offered functionality and develop
something similar or start from scratch (that would be definitely more
difficult and time consuming option).

Another thing is that you might need to improve jerseys wadl generation
itself - to include XML Schema of used types. But again - depends on
your usecase, you might not need that at all.

On 6/13/11 10:41 AM, Rimy Sfm wrote:

> Thanks Pavel,
> what about my second question? Is it feasable that I develop myself
> something that generates me a jersey client API based client? and how much
> time would that take me in your opinion (I'm working all by myself)

http://jersey.576304.n2.nabble.com/Generating-client-stub-from-wadl-tp6293789p6469460.html
To unsubscribe from Generating client stub from wadl, click here.

Re: Generating client stub from wadl

Rimy Sfm
Can't I download the java2wadl project as a whole as a java project from somewhere?

http://jersey.576304.n2.nabble.com/Generating-client-stub-from-wadl-tp6293789p6469524.html
To unsubscribe from Generating client stub from wadl, click here.

Re: Generating client stub from wadl

Rimy Sfm
I mean can I download the whole tool in order to use it

2011/6/13 rim atitallah <[hidden email]>
Can't I download the java2wadl project as a whole as a java project from somewhere?

2011/6/13 Pavel Bucek-2 [via Jersey] <[hidden email]>

looks like it (whatever it was) was lost during migration. Anyway paragraphs below represent list of included modules and you can find them in maven repo: http://download.java.net/maven/2/org/jvnet/ws/wadl/

On 6/13/11 11:19 AM, Rimy Sfm wrote:
Sorry for having so many question.
under http://wadl.java.net/ , under the section  wadl2java  they are telling me that I can download the last distribution
"The latest distribution can be downloaded here." but when I click on here I find nothing :(
 java.net> projects > wadl > Website
The file /web/projects/wadl/servlets/ProjectDocumentList appears to be missing.

To add content to your website, use webdavs.

2011/6/13 Pavel Bucek-2 [via Jersey] <[hidden email]>

It is doable, depends on you actually - how much efford you are willing
to put into that project. My original estimate was ~4 weeks, but it
contains other improvements in that area, simple rewrite to jersey using
pattern which is already there could take 3 days + maybe some testing.

To sum that up - depends what you really want to do. Maybe you can
explore current wadl project (it shouldn't take more that half a day)
and decide whether you are fine with offered functionality and develop
something similar or start from scratch (that would be definitely more
difficult and time consuming option).

Another thing is that you might need to improve jerseys wadl generation
itself - to include XML Schema of used types. But again - depends on
your usecase, you might not need that at all.

On 6/13/11 10:41 AM, Rimy Sfm wrote:

> Thanks Pavel,
> what about my second question? Is it feasable that I develop myself
> something that generates me a jersey client API based client? and how much
> time would that take me in your opinion (I'm working all by myself)

http://jersey.576304.n2.nabble.com/Generating-client-stub-from-wadl-tp6293789p6469460.html
To unsubscribe from Generating client stub from wadl, click here.

http://jersey.576304.n2.nabble.com/Generating-client-stub-from-wadl-tp6293789p6469524.html
To unsubscribe from Generating client stub from wadl, click here.

Re: Generating client stub from wadl

Rimy Sfm
Is it possible that I send you a private mail?

Re: Generating client stub from wadl

see DSDispatcher class in wadl-core. It is used to dispatch requests.

http://download.java.net/maven/2/org/jvnet/ws/wadl/wadl-dist/1.1-SNAPSHOT/wadl-dist-1.1-SNAPSHOT-bin.zip

On 6/13/11 11:47 AM, Rimy Sfm wrote:
Can't I download the java2wadl project as a whole as a java project from somewhere?

2011/6/13 Pavel Bucek-2 [via Jersey] <[hidden email]>
looks like it (whatever it was) was lost during migration. Anyway paragraphs below represent list of included modules and you can find them in maven repo: http://download.java.net/maven/2/org/jvnet/ws/wadl/

On 6/13/11 11:19 AM, Rimy Sfm wrote:
Sorry for having so many question.
under http://wadl.java.net/ , under the section  wadl2java  they are telling me that I can download the last distribution
"The latest distribution can be downloaded here." but when I click on here I find nothing :(
 java.net> projects > wadl > Website
The file /web/projects/wadl/servlets/ProjectDocumentList appears to be missing.

To add content to your website, use webdavs.

2011/6/13 Pavel Bucek-2 [via Jersey] <[hidden email]>

It is doable, depends on you actually - how much efford you are willing
to put into that project. My original estimate was ~4 weeks, but it
contains other improvements in that area, simple rewrite to jersey using
pattern which is already there could take 3 days + maybe some testing.

To sum that up - depends what you really want to do. Maybe you can
explore current wadl project (it shouldn't take more that half a day)
and decide whether you are fine with offered functionality and develop
something similar or start from scratch (that would be definitely more
difficult and time consuming option).

Another thing is that you might need to improve jerseys wadl generation
itself - to include XML Schema of used types. But again - depends on
your usecase, you might not need that at all.

On 6/13/11 10:41 AM, Rimy Sfm wrote:

> Thanks Pavel,
> what about my second question? Is it feasable that I develop myself
> something that generates me a jersey client API based client? and how much
> time would that take me in your opinion (I'm working all by myself)

http://jersey.576304.n2.nabble.com/Generating-client-stub-from-wadl-tp6293789p6469460.html
To unsubscribe from Generating client stub from wadl, click here.

http://jersey.576304.n2.nabble.com/Generating-client-stub-from-wadl-tp6293789p6469524.html
To unsubscribe from Generating client stub from wadl, click here.

Re: Generating client stub from wadl

yes, it is. Actually you already did it once, so you should have my
address. In case you don't.. : [hidden email].