Quantcast

[ANN] Jersey source code repository organization

[ANN] Jersey source code repository organization

Pavel Bucek-2
Dear Jersey users,

With JAX-RS 2.1 work getting resumed (the JSR renewal ballot is currently in progress) we need to prepare Jersey repository for future development and start adopting and implementing JAX-RS 2.1 milestone builds. You may have noticed that this work has started already. The purpose of this email is to clary the purpose of several important branches in the Jersey 2.x repository. You may find this information useful when submitting your pull requests.

2.x branch:
    - Contains future JAX-RS 2.1 implementation. We are going to use it as a JAX-RS 2.1 development branch until the final version of the spec is released.
    - Jersey 2.26 will be released as JAX-RS 2.1 (final) reference implementation. We plan to release 2.26-bX versions until JAX-RS 2.1 is finalized
    - All the code will be based on Java SE 8

2.25.x branch:
    - Contains the last Jersey 2.x release with JAX-RS 2.0 implementation. IOW, Jersey 2.25 is the last "minor” release of JAX-RS 2.0 implementation
    - Moving forward, this branch will be only used for bugfix/patch micro releases as needed (2.25.1, ...)
    - All the code remains to be based on Java SE 7

master branch:
    - This is the main development branch for the next major release of Jersey - Jersey 3.0
    - All the code will be based on Java SE 9

Please, let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you.

Best regards,
Jersey dev team.

Re: [ANN] Jersey source code repository organization

Gili
I don't know about other people but I find the 2.x vs 2.25.x approach
confusing. Will the first release of 2.x be 2.1? If so, it's unintuitive
asking users to interpret 2.1 as newer than 2.25.x.

Why not just declare that 2.26.x and greater (or 2.50 if you really want
to show a separation) is based on JAX-RS 2.1?

Either way, I would expect the 2.1 branch to show version numbers that
are greater than the 2.0 branch.

Gili

On 2016-12-19 05:04, Pavel Bucek wrote:

> Dear Jersey users,
>
> With JAX-RS 2.1 work getting resumed (the JSR renewal ballot is
> currently in progress) we need to prepare Jersey repository for future
> development and start adopting and implementing JAX-RS 2.1 milestone
> builds. You may have noticed that this work has started already. The
> purpose of this email is to clary the purpose of several important
> branches in the Jersey 2.x repository. You may find this information
> useful when submitting your pull requests.
>
> 2.x branch:
>    - Contains future JAX-RS 2.1 implementation. We are going to use it
> as a JAX-RS 2.1 development branch until the final version of the spec
> is released.
>    - Jersey 2.26 will be released as JAX-RS 2.1 (final) reference
> implementation. We plan to release 2.26-bX versions until JAX-RS 2.1
> is finalized
>    - All the code will be based on Java SE 8
>
> 2.25.x branch:
>    - Contains the last Jersey 2.x release with JAX-RS 2.0
> implementation. IOW, Jersey 2.25 is the last "minor” release of JAX-RS
> 2.0 implementation
>    - Moving forward, this branch will be only used for bugfix/patch
> micro releases as needed (2.25.1, ...)
>    - All the code remains to be based on Java SE 7
>
> master branch:
>    - This is the main development branch for the next major release of
> Jersey - Jersey 3.0
>    - All the code will be based on Java SE 9
>
> Please, let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you.
>
> Best regards,
> Jersey dev team.

Re: [ANN] Jersey source code repository organization

Pavel Bucek-2

Hi Gili,

JERSEY 2.x branch exists for a long time now. If you look into the pom (or maven central), you'll notice that JERSEY 2.1 was released on Jul 18, 2013 [1].

Comment for the other paragraph - that's almost what I wrote, the difference is that JERSEY 2.26+ (not 2.26.x) will be based on JAX-RS 2.1.

There is no "2.1" branch. Only "2.x", "2.25.x" and "master" are mentioned in the announcement.

I hope it is clearer now.

Best regards,
Pavel

[1] http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Corg.glassfish.jersey.core%7Cjersey-common%7C2.1%7Cjar